Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Graveyard Book

Author: Neil Gaiman
Year: 2008
Newbery Medal Winner!

This is a charming book about a little boy who, through rather unfortunate circumstances, grows up in a graveyard, raised by ghosts and other not-quite-living-things. Each chapter is a different but related adventure from the young life of Nobody, or Bod, as he is called. I am already a big fan of Neil Gaiman (he's my favorite author) but I hadn't yet read any of his children's/YA fiction. I was highly impressed. It's easy to forget that it's for young readers. Sure, it doesn't have hugely adult themes, but also, it is as complex and well-written as Gaiman's adult novels.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable book. I would recommend it for fantasy fans of any age.

Grade: A

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Also I'm going to try to post more on here.