Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Join Me on a Magical Journey...

I'm checking out AP's 100 Bands You Need to Know in 2007! This will probably take up a few posts. Remember, these are just preliminary judgments, I won't have heard more than a couple songs by each band.

1. The Mint Chicks - The label's website had a link for a Youtube vid for their song "Welcome to Nowhere." The sound quality was terrible, but it seemed pretty catchy. However, I wasn't all that impressed. The sample for "Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No!" on Purevolume sounded pretty good. They sound like catchy britpop (except they're from New Zealand). Similar to The Killers, The Pink Spiders, and slightly reminiscent of Arctic Monkeys (but probably not as good). VERDICT: One thumb up, one down.

2. Locksley - The band's site, bandoflocksley.com, has some good quality music videos. Apparently their song "Why Not Me" is the theme to some stupid-ass MTV show (did I mention I loathe MTV?). Nevertheless, it's a great, catchy song. I agree with AP, it does remind me of Hot Hot Heat. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!!

3. Shook Ones - The label site has the song "Pheasant" up, but it wouldn't load. Also, I couldn't find them on Purevolume, though their search feature is godawful. VERDICT: Shrug of shoulders.

4. All Time Low - I've actually heard of this band! I have the song "Break Out! Break Out!" and I am quite fond of it. Catchy pop-punk, sounds like Cartel, etc. VERDICT: Thumbs up!

5. Silversun Pickups - XM has been playing the song "Lazy Eye" obsessively on quite a few stations, so I've heard it a few times. And it is amazing. Great indie stuff! VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!

6. Annuals - Had to go to PV for this one. The song "Brother" is pretty cool, reminds me a little of ...And You Will Know Us... Actually all the songs on there are cool. AP said they're similar to Arcade Fire, I wonder if that's because they too have a whole bunch of members... VERDICT: Thumbs way up!

7. Ad Astra Per Aspera - Listened to "A Fish Would Much Rather Swim" on their label's site, Sonic Unyon. Good stuff! Any band touted to be similar to the Blood Brothers deserves a big high five. Sounds a little like Cursive on The Ugly Organ, too. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!

8. The Almost - I'm not a huge fan of Underoath, but nevertheless I like them, and was excited to hear Aaron Gillespie's side project. And I am not at all disappointed. Listen to "Say This Sooner" on PV. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!

9. Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - I've got the song "Tough as John Jacobs," and it's a pretty cool song. They're kind of southern rock mixed with a little hardcore and a bit of general metal. As the VP of W&M's metal club, I approve. VERDICT: Thumbs up!

10. Wax On Radio - I was really excited to check out this band because AP said they sounded like Radiohead, Muse, and Arcade Fire. The Downtown Records site had "Today I Become a Realist" up. And I do hear a little of those in there. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!

11. Quietdrive - I love Quietdrive already! I have "Rise From the Ashes," it's really catchy and amazing. Though I have no clue how I got it. My best guess is that it was on an iTunes Back to School Sampler. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!!

12. As Tall As Lions - They're on the same label that Brand New started out on... and also The Receiving End of Sirens. Doesn't that tell you enough? Right, I also listened to Ghost of York and I am quite impressed. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!!

No comments: