Saturday, March 24, 2007

More of the same...

Continuing AP's 100 bands list...

34. Teddybears - I've heard of this band, and I believe Jeff has a song by them. I recall it being cool. And I know they did a remix on the Snakes on a Plane soundtrack that rocked. In fact, I'm sure Jeff has "Punkrocker" which features Iggy Pop. It's a good song. I also listened to "Different Sound" and it was really catchy and cool. VERDICT: Thumbs up!!

35. Death Ships - As usual, I found them on Myspace and just let whatever decided to play go. I heard "Thelma Lou" and it was a cool acoustic song, very indie folk, which is what I'm really loving right now. Therefore, it is awesome. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!!

36. The Chalets - I heard "No Style" and it was a super catchy indie pop gem. I highly recommend a listen or two. Also, I listened to "Lovepunch" and I know that I've heard it before... the chorus ("I know you love me but you're fucking crazy") is hard to forget. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!!

37. Olympia - A word of warning: the correct band is the second listed if you search on Myspace. Anyway, I listened to "Bastogne." It was a pretty good song, but if I'm going to be honest it was not a very original sound. I've heard a lot of bands that sound almost exactly like this. VERDICT: One thumb up, one down.

38. Klaxons - Another band I've already heard of! I feel so ahead of the curve! They're quite interesting, and unique. They describe themselves as psychedelic prog pop, and I would go along with that. I really like the song "Gravity's Rainbow." I listened to "Two Receivers" on their Myspace (they're featured today) and I like it. VERDICT: Thumbs up!

39. The Dear Hunter - I have the song "City Escape" and I really really like it. They're different, electronic stuff. AP says they're like Say Anything, and I don't know how much I agree but as in the awesomeness factor, it's true. I also heard "Black Sandy Beaches" and it was cool too. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!!

40. Have Heart - I listened to "Armed with a Mind" and all I can say is, why God why are there so many hardcore bands? VERDICT: Thumbs down.

41. The Knife - My friend Zach is into The Knife and therefore I've heard them before. Also, they are said to sound like Royksopp, who I've recently gotten into. So I listened to "Marble House" and it was absolutely awesome. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!

42. The Human Abstract - What? A band like A7X AND DragonForce? Can this be possible? To find out, I listened to "Mea Culpa." They sound more like A7X to me, but nonetheless they rock. Also they're apparently on Warped Tour this year?! VERDICT: Thumbs up!

43. The Showdown - I listened to "Temptation Come My Way" and I can only say: oh no! Not another Metallica! But I have to admit this band is better. VERDICT: Thumbs somewhat down.

44. Nothington - I heard "Going Home," and it is kind of punk/grunge stuff, and I suppose it's good for that particular genre, which I am not all that fond of. VERDICT: One thumb up, one down.

45. My Latest Novel - Someone, probably Zach, told me about this band but I hadn't heard them before. So I listened to "Pretty in a Panic" and it was pretty much amazing. I do see similarities to Arcade Fire, and very slightly to Sigur Ros. VERDICT: Thumbs way up!!!

46. Behold... the Arctopus - I listened to "PAINcave" and it was some brutal, crazy metal. And I kind of like it. VERDICT: Thumbs sort of up.

47. Boys Like Girls - I listened to/watched the video for "Hero/Heroine" and I like it. It's catchy pop/emo/rock stuff, but it's a little different than everything else... more rock inspired I think. VERDICT: Thumbs quite a bit up!!!

48. Mayday Parade - I was looking this up and thinking 'oh boy another Panic!/FOB sound alike, but this band was a pleasant surprise. "When I Get You Home..." is a pretty catchy, cool song. I also liked "Your Song." VERDICT: Thumbs up!

49. Pistolita - Ooh, I like piano rock! Imagine MCR with a piano and a little less dark. It's good stuff, check out "Beni Accident." VERDICT: Thumbs way up!

50. Drop Dead, Gorgeous - Their somewhat clever name doesn't make up for my anti-hardcore sentiments. But you don't have to take my word for it, you can see them on Warped Tour this summer. VERDICT: Thumbs down.

HEY! I'm halfway through! Come back later for more.

No comments: